Surround Compressor Link Parameters
The Surround Compressor’s Link section provides the following parameters:
• Circuit Type pop-up menu: Choose the type of circuit emulated by the Surround
Compressor. The choices are Platinum, Classic A_R, Classic A_U, VCA, FET, and Opto
• Grp. (Group) pop-up menus: Set group membership for each channel (A, B, C, or no
group (indicated by -). Moving the Threshold or Output Level slider for any grouped
channel will move the sliders for all channels assigned to that group.
Tip: Press Command and Option while moving the Threshold or Output Level slider
of a grouped channel to temporarily unlink the channel from the group. This allows
you to make independent threshold settings while maintaining the side-chain detection
link necessary for a stable surround image.
• Byp (Bypass) buttons: Independently bypasses the corresponding channel unless
grouped. If the channel belongs to a group, all channels in the group are bypassed.
• Detection pop-up menu: Determines if the Surround Compressor uses the maximum
level of each signal (Max) or the summed level of all signals (Sum) to exceed or fall
below the threshold.
• If Max is chosen, and any of the surround channels exceeds or falls below the
Threshold, that channel (or grouped channels) is compressed.
• If Sum is chosen, the combined level of all channels must exceed the Threshold
before compression occurs.